Why We Love It
Make no mistake, this is babies’ first book and it is unlike traditional books for young children. Hoban’s deliberately simple black and white images are designed to complement your newborn’s current visual abilities. Because a newborn’s vision is slowly developing (they can only see about 8-10 inches in front of them,) they are stimulated by high-contrast black and white images. Newborns are captivated with Hoban’s White on Black and so are we. A classic first book for newborns!
Follow Up Fun
- Snuggle up with your little one and hold the book close.
- Slowly flip through the pages and give your newborn time to stare at the images.
- Talk about the images. Describe what you see.
- Sit the open book near wherever your baby spends their playtime. (It is a great book to have wedged open near the changing table).
- Black on White by Tana Hoban
- I Kissed the Baby by Mary Murphy
- Who Are They? by Tana Hoban