Why We Love It
We love books written from different character’s perspectives. The situations described by 10 year-old twins Jake and Lily use authentic language in this funny and emotionally meaningful story. Familiar elementary issues of friendship, bullying and connecting with others are addressed. At the beginning of their adolescence, Jake seeks new friends and Lily struggles to find herself. Honest dialogue is believable and Spinelli’s characters will be familiar to any elementary-age child.
- What advantages and disadvantages do you think there are for having a twin?
- Jake begins hanging out with Bump Stubbins and spending less time with Lily. Given Bump’s behavior, why do you think Jake spends so much time with Bump and his gang?
- Would you rather be friends with Jake or Lily? Why?
- Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko
- Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea
- No Talking by Andrew Clements