Why We Love It
Henry is lonely and desperately wants a puppy, which soon grows into a 3-foot,180 pound dog. The two are inseparable friends. One day Mudge takes a walk and gets lost while Henry is at school. Over 7 short chapters, their friendship grows. Simple language expresses common emotional situations and keeps the plot moving with lots of pictures. This is the first in a great series for kids ready for chapter books.
Follow Up Fun
- Make a simple origami dog by clicking on this video
- Stuff a single brown sock and knot the end. Using a black marker, draw eyes and color a nose on the front of the sock. Read Henry and Mudge to your new sock pet.
- Make some Mudge Fudge (with an adult) to enjoy after your read another Henry and Mudge book. To make the fudge:
- Empty 1-1/2 pkgs. of semi-sweet chocolate chips into a saucepan.
- Pour 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk) into the chocolate. Melt over low heat stirring until mixed. When smooth and melted, spread the fudge into a lightly buttered square brownie pan (8” or 9”.) Refrigerate until firm, at least one hour. While the fudge cools, read another Henry and Mudge story. Eat fudge. Repeat the last two steps. Enjoy.
- Henry and Mudge in Puddle Trouble by Cynthia Rylant
- George and Martha (series) by James Marshall
- Amelia Bedelia (series) by Peggy Parish