Why We Love It
The underground City of Ember is rapidly declining. Flickering lights from a failing generator will soon plunge the city into darkness. With few resources left, 12-year old Lina and Doon must figure out the clues on a partial map showing the way out of the failing city. They hope to reach the surface and save Ember. Well-developed characters and an adventurous plot make great science fiction for more sophisticated elementary readers.
- Enjoy this City of Ember puzzle by clicking here.
- After you have completed the book watch the movie. Which version do you prefer and why?
- What advice would you offer Lina and Doon as they prepare to leave Ember in search of a route to the surface?
- The People of Sparks: The Second Book of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau
- Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix
- The Fourteenth Goldfish by Jennifer Holm